E-mail Nation Builder at: info@nationbuilder.org

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Lessons from the Gemara: How Jesus Walked on Water

Jesus, the Gemara says he was a bad student, who was certainly not learned in Sefer Yetzirah. It states he snuck into the temple and copied down the name of G-d from the priests head-piece, then cut his leg and inserted it inside. That's what it says. This is how he performed flying "walking on water" etc. Then the priest chased him down and shined the inside of his head-piece onto him, and it ended.
This is from the Gemara (Talmud) according to a Jewish friend who studied at a Bet Midrash. There are gnostic texts that say Jesus knew the secrets of the Hebrew letters and then learned how to perform miracles by understanding the Sefer Yetzirah.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most of your posts are well sourced. One can look up the original. But this one is very vague and therefore questionable. Could you ask your friend for the precise source of that story? What tractate and page does it come from? And which gnostic sources are you referring to?

July 4, 2008 at 7:44 AM  
Blogger The Builder said...

I've been trying to find it. I sincerely believe the story is in the Gemara/Talmud but I don't know where. I will ask my friend.

I've never read anything relating Jesus to the Sefer Yetzirah. I wanted to make it more clear in my post -- I've read a gnostic text that states Jesus learned the secrets of the Hebrew letters at a young age but I'll have to find it.

The modern day Essenes (obviously not connected to the originals) say that Mary was an Essene and she taught Jesus the secrets of the Hebrew letters which led to priests teaching him the Sefer Yetzirah.

There is no question in my mind that if Jesus performed miracles then he did so via the Sefer Yetzirah. But to suggest he stoles the names of G-d etc is rather interesting.

July 6, 2008 at 7:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your efforts. I'm very interested in that source.

July 6, 2008 at 7:49 AM  
Blogger The Builder said...

Look in the "tactrate sanhedrin, tell over the entire tale". He doesn't know which daf.

If you find it, please post it.

Does the Gemara talk about the Sefer Yetzirah more or any other texts?

July 10, 2008 at 8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sanhedrin is a huge tractate. Sorry I don't have the time to research it.

As far as I am aware, the Gemara does not discuss the Sefer Yetzirah. Some of its commentators (beginning with Rashi) do so.

July 10, 2008 at 10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home